Monday, March 12, 2007

Bring on the Ketchup!

Dinner. We need to eat it. Some people prefer the grab'n'go, for some it is a sensory feast. Recently, I was eating dinner at a friend's house. She had made a wonderful stew the night before and it tasted wonderful. It had such great flavour and was delicious. The kids were eating something else and partway through the meal, the kids wanted ketchup on their dinner. Ok, I know that kids like ketchup. (We usually reserve ketchup for grilled cheese.) Then, both adults proceeded to squeeze ketchup all over their stew. I couldn't believe it. I then pronounced them the official 'Ketchup Family' (or 'famille de ketchup'). I had never seen anyone put ketchup in their beef stew before. Perhaps there is another family out there who squeezes ketchup on meals such as stew???

Another dinner. The stew was so good at the 'House of Ketchup' that I decided to make it. We invited some neighbours to enjoy dinner with us. The guy told me that his wife wouldn't be home for awhile but he and his son would love to join us at 6:00. I also invited their son over to play for a bit prior to dinner. As soon as his son comes over to play, I notice him driving away. He calls me from his cell phone at 5:45 reporting that he needed to run an errand and to start dinner without him if he was late. Dinner with the neighbours began to unravel in my mind. An acceptance to our dinner invitation was looking much more like we were being 'stood up'. All's well that ends well. Both he and she came at 6:30, we ate dinner, and had some good conversation. Although, I don't think that my stew tasted as nice as the 'Ketchup Family' 's stew.

2 comments:

ej said...

may we take eric down in this month of madness.

Jessica said...

If this happened to me, I would've thought my neighbours were using me as a "babysitter".

Vive la famille de ketchup!